2020年5月26日 星期二

Two Smiling Faces, a World of Difference


In Slack’s emoji menu, there are two versions of basic smiley faces. As shown above, there is :slightly_smiling_face: and :simple_smile:. At first glance, it might appear that the first offers a slight expression of friendliness, while the second does the same, just smiling a little harder. But these are not just two different versions of a smile. There is a cataclysmic amount of nuance here.

Let’s break down :slightly_smiling_face: first, which itself can be interpreted in a number of ways. I personally use it as a warm conversation-ender, a way to say “that was a nice talk” and move on; other acceptable uses, in my personal school of emoji interpretation, would be as a reaction to a something that someone says that makes you…smile.

Which is why I was somewhat unnerved to hear that some of my coworkers, and specifically, my boss, use it ironically, as a way to indicate that you’re politely smiling because social norms compel you to, but you actually think the person/idea/whatever is full of shit. “I usually read :slightly_smiling_face: as gfy:” Heidi Grothaus, Slate’s own VP of People Operations said (!).

Clearly, there’s a lot of room for misinterpretation here. If you think about it, though, that can happen with smiles in the three-dimensional world, too. Like it’s fleshy counterpart, receiving a :slightly_smiling_face: leaves you to evaluate the context clues and psychological underpinnings of whoever you are chatting with.

The stakes get higher, though. :Simple_smile: is, as far as I am concerned, the last thing you see before you die in a horror movie. The proportions of the smile are not correct; the mouth extends too far into the cheeks of the face. The lips are parted a bit, which—try it—is impossible to do while also smiling as broadly and not looking/feeling like a maniac. It’s the emoji version of the demented ill-proportioned faces in the Blumhouse flop Truth or Dare. It says, as my colleague Seth Maxon put it, “I am wearing the skin mask of a formerly smiling person.”

What’s especially horrifying about :simple_smile: is that not everyone is on the same page about this, either (though if you do not agree with me, still, I would urge you to try reacting to a message in Slack using :simple_smile:; at smaller sizes, the horror effect is maximized). In the eyes of Christina Cauterrucci, a Slate staff writer and I guess now my nemesis, “:simple_smile: looks actually happy.” I do not buy the argument that a slightly larger mouth automatically connotes more happiness. I cannot imagine sharing something good in Slack—a story I wrote, a puppy picture—and having someone react with this. To me, it would be a crystal-clear expression of ill will. Gazing into the little dot eyes of :simple_smile:, even for a moment, makes the very interior of my being slightly and painfully off-kilter. It’s worse than a real-life American Pyscho style grin, because at least human flesh tires and changes expression at some point; :simple_smile: stays plastered.

What’s ironic is that :simple_smile: was created to make things, well, simpler. In the official unicode guide, there is a suite of various kinds of smiles. There is a “smiling face with smiling eyes” which Slack codes as “blush.” This feels right, it’s clearly too happy and a little intimate for work. There’s a “grinning face;” which is a boisterous, overzealous smile. There’s “beaming face with smiling eyes;” which is a grinning face if the face is showing off a full rack of veneers. There’s “upside down face:, which is basically a sarcastic frustrated welp!  But for a while, there wasn’t just a straightforward smile. :Simple_smile: was a purposeful creation by Slack according to a piece by Mack Scocca-Ho. Slack rolled it out in 2014. When :slightly_smiling_face: came along in 2015 in the official Unicode, they kept both.

In my opinion, :simple-smile: a monstrosity, an emoji that is no longer needed given the existence of :slightly-smiling-face:. I am not alone: whoever runs Slack Twitter account even used the term “serial killer smile” when I tweeted at them about :simple-smile:. I wish it would go away! But if Slack’s unending stream of emoji is any indication, it won’t. So instead, I advocate for only using it with people who you really, truly, hate.

Readers like you make our work possible. Help us continue to provide the reporting, commentary, and criticism you won’t find anywhere else.

Join Slate Plus
Join Slate Plus


from Slate Magazine https://ift.tt/2TGAOkP
via IFTTT

沒有留言:

張貼留言